January 1, 2010
2010 Reading Challenge: Chunkster Challenge
I have decided that the Chunkster Challenge would be a good challenge to attempt as I'm sure during the course of a year I'm bound to read enough chunky books to complete this challenge. It will be interesting to see just how many chunky books I do read...
There are three levels to this challenge and I have decided to be ambitious and attempt the highest level, Mor-book-ly Obese, and as it states 6 or more I've decided that 12 chunksters is going to be my goal.
Definition of a Chunkster:
A chunkster is 450 pages or more of ADULT literature (fiction or nonfiction)... A chunkster should be a challenge.
If you read large type books your book will need to be 525 pages or more ... The average large type book is 10-15% longer or more so I think that was a fair estimate.
1. The Chubby Chunkster - this option is for the reader who has a couple of large tomes on their TBR list, but really doesn't want to commit to much more than that. 3 books is all you need to finish this challenge.
2. Do These Books Make my Butt Look Big? - this option is for the slightly heavier reader who wants to commit to 4 Chunksters over the next twelve months.
3. Mor-book-ly Obese - This is for the truly out of control chunkster. For this level of challenge you must commit to 6 or more chunksters OR three tomes of 750 pages or more. You know you want to.....go on and give in to your cravings.
--For myself I have set a target of 12 chunksters.
Here are the rules:
1. No Audio books in the chunkster. It just doesn't seem right. Words on paper for this one folks.
2. No e-Books allowed - we are reading traditional, fat books for this challenge.
3. Short Stories and Essay collections will not be counted.
4. Books may crossover with other challenges
5. Anyone may join. If you don't have a blog, just leave me a comment on this post with your progress (and to let me know you are playing)
6. You don't need to list your books ahead of time.
7. Once you pick a level, that's it...you're committed to that level!
Books read so far:
1. The Spell Of Rosette by Kim Falconer (528p)
2. Arrows Of Time by Kim Falconer (576p)
3. Stranger In A Strange Land by Robert Heinlein (655p)
4. Strange Attractors by Kim Falconer (576p)
5. The Dark Mirror by Juliet Marillier (560p)
6. Blade Of Fortriu by Juliet Marillier (551p)
6/12 books read. 50%done!